Happy Belated Earth Day!


If you truly see every day as Earth Day, then there’s nothing wrong with posting about it a few days late. But before too much time passes and complacency returns, here are some thoughts on electronic waste, or e-waste.

According to earthday.org, the U.S. alone produces up to 50 million tons of e-waste each year. Only 20-25% is recycled safely and responsibly. The other 75% ends up in landfills, contaminating our air and water supplies.

Here are two options to get the e-waste out of your house and keep it out of the landfills.

Eden Projects

Send them in to Eden Projects, a non-profit group we’ve worked with and deeply admire. For every 100 gadgets they get by May 10, they’ll plant 100 trees. Here’s how it works:

  1. Request a box at youchange.com/let-go-grow.
  2. Collect as many electronics as you can from your friends, family, work, or the cause you are involved in.
  3. Mail it back for free and for every 100 items you send in, youchange™ will contribute to The Eden Projects to plant trees!
  4. AND the rest of the money goes to you and your cause!

E-Stewards

If that’s not an option or you miss the May 10 deadline, just go to E-Stewards.org and put in your zip-code to find the closest E-Waste recycling facility.

Hope you found a good way to honor Earth Day. And if you didn’t, it’s never too late.


This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.